Background

Thursday, January 16, 2020

Dreams and Cuban Sandwiches

I am away this week at a teaching and technology conference. In a word, it has been refreshing. It has been so nice to step outside of my classroom and get some fresh ideas, network with other educators who are out there getting the job done, and see some cool, geeky new tech for the classroom at the same time. As I was sitting in a very crowded convention hall, munching on a Cuban sandwich (the convention is in Miami, so obviously I had to have a Cuban even though I am convinced that Tampa makes them better--but I digress), I had a second to reflect. I was eating my lunch and I decided to take the longer route to my next class. This particular convention center has a beautiful second story walk way of all glass panels, giving you a really nice view of the town of South Beach. As I walked, I was reflecting on where my life had taken me since my very first teaching conference way back in 2010! A lot has changed and so many of those "big dreams" I had for my professional career have happened now. I am finally able to teach the subject that made me want to become a teacher in the first place--American History! I am finally getting my Master's degree, when I have been thinking of doing it and "someday-ing" about it but never actually getting up the courage to start. Now, I have 2/10 courses out of the way and starting the third on Monday. I have wanted for years to be an AP reader...my invitation to attend the reading came in my email yesterday! I know the prospect of grading AP essays for five straight days doesn't sound like something any normal human would want to do, but I cannot imagine any way to help me be a better teacher to my own AP kids than to experience a reading first hand! But it did not all happen without hard work, without sacrifice, without mistakes and pitfalls and long nights of prepping and thinking and DREAMING! It is not just "mine" either. My husband has sacrificed so much to help me accomplish my dreams. He has put himself last so I could be successful. He has supported me, graded papers with me, substituted for me, cheered me on, and been my rock through it all. Even more, that dream of being a mom came true in the last ten years. So many dreams, so many wishes, so many hopes... So, first year teacher, or teacher who is "starting over again" at a new school--hang in there! It will not ALWAYS be late nights and feeling like you are only staying ONE day ahead (heck, maybe only one HOUR ahead) of your students. It will not always feel like you have no social life and no time to recharge. You will not ALWAYS have to teach that one class you don't really have a passion for. Keep on dreaming. Dreaming is not silly or impractical or a waste of time. Dreams are essential. Dreams motivate us to keep on keeping on. Now, why eating a Cuban with a thousand teachers I didn't know evoked those kinds of thoughts---your guess is as good as mine. However, Miami will be a special memory for me because I gained a little perspective, reflected on just how BLESSED these last ten years have been, and smiled about how I can't wait to see what the next ten years will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment