Background

Friday, September 3, 2010

So, I think I might be a nerd....

The other day I came to a startling conclusion: I am a nerd. Do not ask me how I came to this conclusion on my own so suddenly and with no help(because I am sure those near and dear to me have known it for some time now). I realized it on the way home from work the other day. I have gotten into this new radio show that has these little money saving tips on it all the time. When I hear the words, "deal of the week" I find myself turning up the radio and trying to write down the store or the deal while I drive. I have even, once or twice, picked up the phone to call my mom just to tell her that I got two bags of frozen veggies for just .50 cents each. Then, while I was in the grocery store last night (which I might add is one of my favorite pastimes...if I find myself at home alone and bored I will run to the grocery store). Last night I was in the cake mix/condiments/salad dressing isle and it occurred to me that I am a nerd, but I am also an old lady. There I stood in the isle with my Mary Poppins purse open wide in the cart where the kids are supposed to sit and buckle in. I was digging into the depths of my purse to find a coupon for salad dressing because they were already buy one get one free and this sent me into a tailspin of joy because I would be saving so much money. It then occurred to me that the little man stocking the shelves was observing me with something akin to either confusion or irritation (I am inclined to think it may have been the later). Then, once I made it to the cash register with my coupons in hand, clutching them as though they were solid gold, the cashier also gave me a slight eye roll as I handed him my wad of coupons. BUT, when I saw my receipt and literally giggled inside with glee, I think that confirmed my nerd-ness. BUT, in a day when money is harder and harder to save and there is no such thing as a free lunch, I would rather be a nerdy old lady with a Mary Poppins purse who saves a buck or two, than to be a woman who never checks the newspaper for a coupon. So, if sometime you see a girl dancing through the parking lot with her "bargains"....do not be alarmed...it is the 24 year old nerdy old woman named Amy.

2 comments:

  1. I think we are coupon-conscious kindred spirits. hahaha. I call my mom all the time when I get a great deal! Keep up the good work. You're the good kind of nerd. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. come see me and miss norah in Dec... and Teach us your ways almighty nerd : ) At least you aren't a weird nerd....

    ReplyDelete