Background

Monday, September 6, 2010

What's the Deal?

I love going shopping. It is very seldom that I actually buy anything of substance. When my best friends still lived in the same town as me, we would call it "trinket shopping" because we usually came out with one or two little trinkets that cost hardly anything at all. So, the other day I had a Saturday all to myself. Ryan was at work and everyone I called to do something with was busy. In a way it was nice because I went to whatever store I wanted and spent as long as I wanted wherever I was. Well, I happened to pass by a book store that was having a tent sale and as much as I fought the urge, I had to go in. (It was ironic that it happened this week because I JUST did a purge of my bookshelves...which is hard for me because book are like friends and I hang on to them as long as I can.) Into the tent I went and was instantly regretting going in because I had my hands full of books in two seconds flat. Then, before I went to the counter to buy them, I evaluated my purchases and changed my mind on all but two. So, I bought them and moved on with my life. Before I left, I found a little section of the tent full of cookbooks. Those near and dear to me know that I only have two true addictions in my life. One of them is coffee in any form that it comes in: blended, steamed, black, cream and sugar, mocha, latte, iv injections...whatever. And the other addiction is cookbooks. I cannot stop myself, when I see one I have to have it. Well, the other day at the tent sale I had a break through. The cookbooks I picked up had one major flaw: no one would eat any of those things. I looked at the ingredient lists and I was not even sure what half of those things were. One recipe was something like barbecued asparagus flavored picked herring over a bed of almond pureed mush with rosemary garnish. Who eats that? Can anyone honestly walk into Publix and buy any of those fruity ingredients. I remember a couple weeks ago I had a hard time finding raspberry red wine vinegar. I dare anyone to find some "essence of coconut" (which I saw in another recipe). Who would really look at those freaky foods and say, "Oh my I want to make that tomorrow for dinner when the company comes over." Plus, for a woman whose husband will not even eat tomatoes, I do not think any of those things would fly. So, I put the cookbooks down and walked away a winner in my mind. I walked a little taller as I left that book sale with just two little books. One addiction down....one more to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment