Background

Sunday, September 12, 2010

What is the world coming to?

Just the other evening, Ryan and I were watching some sort of show on television and a commercial came on. I actually found myself so offended by this commercial that I considered writing the company and complaining. It was a commercial for some sort of manly, musky, "make-you-irresistible-to-the-ladies" soap. Well, the soap commercial would not have been offensive except the commercial continually referenced male body parts in a blatant (not even in an innuendo-ish) manner. I was shocked. Ryan and I then began discussing how far television was gone since we were kids. I remember when the first Victoria Secret commercial came out and every one was appalled. Now those models selling underwear dance around with nothing on (which I never understood...I mean, if you are selling a product, aren't we supposed to see it so we want to buy it???) If you look at television shows as well, there has to be people half dressed or kissing or worse. When the television show "Leave it to Beaver" came out way back when (before I was born...but my family are big retro-tv people so I grew up on that show), Beaver and Wally had the first toilet ever shown on tv and that was a HUGE deal. In I Love Lucy, she was one of the first women to discuss being pregnant on a television show. Now, what do we see....people in all states of undress, people in the shower, people on the toilet....it just never ends. All I have to say is...my kids will be watching a whole lot of Leave it to Beaver and Lucy, because the options that will be available for them will be worthless.

2 comments:

  1. I know, I saw that commercial and was completely offended too! Ugh. So gross!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up on Leave it to Beaver as well and love it. I can't stand the commercial that was on that was selling a lady sneaker and kept showing seductive views of the leg and backside of a woman. Seriously you're selling a sneaker not underwear. It doesn't make any sense to me.

    ReplyDelete