Background

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Christmas at the Post Office

Maybe I never really understood the phrase "going postal" because I had never been to the post office during the Christmas season. Clearly that phrase originated during the Christmas season. Yesterday I stood in line for at least 30 minutes waiting to ship a baby dress to my best friend's new baby. All around me were people, people, people and boxes and boxes and boxes. In front of me what a man from Ireland mailing cards galore to the "old country" and behind me was a sweet little old lady from Germany who stuck up a conversation with me about the differences between the educational system here and the one in Germany. By the time we reached the end of the line, I felt as though we should exchange phone numbers so we could stay in touch. It was strange, but pleasant. Any more these days when we stand in line, waiting (which I feel like we spend a lot of time in lines these days), we just pull out a phone, or stare off into space, and try to avoid eye-contact with those around us. Sometimes if you take a moment and look around you, there are very interesting people to talk to and meet. So, next time you wait in an eternal line, find a friendly-looking face and strike up a conversation....you just never know who you will meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment