Background

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Cheapskates Anonymous

From time to time I stumble across a bargain and I must snatch it up. Well, today, I was out getting a little last minute Christmas gift buying done. At each store I had coupons, gift cards, store credits, or something that saved money in one way or another. Now, the question did occur to me..."Is it wrong and un-Christmasy to buy things for others as gifts that you have coupons for?" For example, I got my husband, my father, and a few other people some gifts at our local Christian bookstore. The total came up to be 45 dollars. However, I had store credit for 35 of those dollars. So, when they open the gifts...is it ok not to confess the true level of cheapskate-ness to which I have bowed or do I say, "Why, you are so very welcome." I went to Borders next and got something for my mom and for my best friend's new baby, and it only cost me a dollar. Do I need to change my name to Scrooge or am I just being frugal?

Well, the whole car ride home with my "bargains" I pondered this idea. Am I just a crazy coupon lady that drives everyone crazy with my money saving madness? I know the little man who helped me at Target thought I was insane since nearly everything in my cart, including the bubble wrap mailer I had to buy, had a coupon. Each coupon really reflected a level of consideration for others. The bubble mailer coupon was for my best friend, since I knew I would need to mail her a baby outfit for her new baby. The pistachio coupon was for dad because I knew I would need to get those for him. The razor blade coupon was for Ryan because he always gets a nice razor in his stocking from me. I do not think Christmas has to equal bankruptcy. However, I do not think everything needs to come from the dollar tree either. There are ways to make that dollar stretch. So, if that makes me the Grinch that's ok because I have always felt green was a good color on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment