Background

Monday, April 4, 2011

Stuck-to-the-screen-door Stubborn

I am stubborn. I just came to this startling realization today on my way home from work. I was thinking over a lesson that God has been trying to teach me. I know God is taking me through the training ground of patience. I HATE learning the lesson of patience because since I am so stubborn it takes me a REALLY long time to learn it. I should have seen the warning signs long ago.

When I was about three or four (I remember this event because I was traumatized), I decided that the ice all over the screen door looked totally delicious and I wanted to eat it. I had seen "A Christmas Story" where the little boy gets his tongue stuck to the flag pole because of the dreaded "triple dog dare" and I vaguely remember my father telling me it was not a good idea to ever do that. Still, I was stubborn and I tried it anyways. Sure enough... I found myself stuck tongue first to a screen door. Laughable now, but not so much when I could not taste anything for a week due to my taste buds being transferred to the screen door.

BUT, I still did not learn this lesson. When I was about eight I remember seeing ice collecting on the inside of the freezer...and I wanted to eat it. (Not only did I have a thing for ice, but also for the gross and disgusting apparently). My mom told me on her way to the shower when I expressed interest in eating the ice that it was a bad idea. Once mom was in the shower, I went to town. I got some ice off the back of the freezer, licked it off my fingers and went in for a second helping. However, I made the fatal mistake of sticking a soggy finger on an icy piece of metal. STUCK AGAIN. This time I was stuck in a bent over situation with my head in the freezer and my fingers stuck to the metal.

You would think that would be the end of it, wouldn't you, but I decided to do it once again. When I was about ten or twelve I went to stay at my Grandma's house for a couple of weeks in the summer. While I was there, I discovered super glue. I pestered my Grandma about using it on something and she admonished me to leave it alone. While she was on the phone, stubborn Amy struck again and I managed to superglue all the fingers on my right hand together. Again...STUBBORN.

Here I sit now with a lesson to learn. An important life lesson...the question is...am I going to LISTEN this time, or will the Lord have to come and help me out when I find myself STUCK once again. I think I know which one I am praying I will do this time. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment