Background

Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Vacation Ends--Reflections

Well our last two days of vacation were an absolute blur. We started our 4th day back at the Magic Kingdom, hitting all the highlights (teacups, Winnie the Pooh--more than once, twice, three times). We spent most of the morning there and then went home and let Joel take a longer than normal nap because we were going to take the plunge and let him see his very first fireworks show! It did not disappoint. There were a few moments during the show where the noises startled him a little bit, but for the most part, he really enjoyed it. Then, since the park crowds really slimmed down, we hit all our favorite rides with unbridled energy. If it was open, we went for a spin. We even went on the Jungle Cruise, in the dark (which even mommy found a little creepy in the dark). Joel was a trooper through the whole thing, passed out on the bus trip back to the hotel and slept all through the night with no issues. On our last day, we went to Hollywood Studios, which I really did not think would have much to keep us there, but when we left I was kind of sad because it was such a fun place, even for Joel. We started the day by RUSHING as fast as our legs could carry us to the Toy Story Midway Mania game, which is a blast. When we took our first ride, the wait time was 10 minutes. So, we decided once we got off the ride we would try to go through it one more time before the lines got too long... the wait was already at 50 minutes!! BUT, as luck would have it, right across the way, Woody and Buzz had just arrived at the picture spot, so we hustled right over there for some pictures with them. Next, we went to the Disney Junior live show, which Joel loved. There were dancing puppets, bubbles that rained from the roof, fake snow, and gold doubloons (gold paper cut into circles... but Joel loved it) and even confetti at the very end of the show. Finally, we went deep into the park to find Mike and Sullivan from Monsters Inc. We snagged a picture with them and before we knew it, it was time to go and make the trip home. I know wishes don't come true and I know magic isn't real. However, as I stood in the middle of that mass of humanity watching the "wishes" fireworks show, I could not help but smile so big I thought my face would crack. I also shed a tear or two. There were a lot of emotions racing through my mind as I watched those beautiful fireworks. First, my baby is not a baby anymore. He is two. He says words, he runs, he eats food like I do, and he (thankfully) sleeps all night long like a real person does. He has opinions (and he voices them loudly). He has things he loves and things he hates. He is not a baby. Yet, as I held him in the moments when the sounds were a little overwhelming for him, I was reminded once again of all the times I would be doing something fun or celebratory and wishing there was a little person in my life to share it with and to watch experience things for the very first time. I paused for the 17,000 time to be thankful that God saw fit to answer the cry of my heart and fill our home with this firecracker of a little boy. Second, I am so glad that we got this chance to get away from work and potty training and summer cleaning projects and just be us, the three of us. Everyone needs that time to unplug from all the responsibility and hustle and bustle that is life and just relax for a little while. Third, every time Joel learns something new or experiences something for the first time, there is just this bubbling of joy and happiness that comes over me...I cannot explain it, but I love it. Watching him genuinely love something or enjoy something makes me happy. One of my favorite moments of the whole trip was watching Joel and Ryan ride the tea cups...I got to watch their expressions as they spun around and around (all the while thankful I was not on that thing). What sweet looks on their faces!! Something I can treasure when we are in the middle of the most hectic parts of the school year. I am blessed... no other words can describe it. Blessed, blessed, blessed.
My all time favorite picture of vacation


Kisses for joel
Late night ride
Fireworks selfie
Spinning teacups
That cute little boy face!!!
Another favorite
Taking a ride on the Dumbo ride

No comments:

Post a Comment