Background

Monday, October 24, 2011

Observations from a Jury Box

This post has taken me a while to write because there have been so many things to catch up on...but the catching up has finally been completed and I am ready to write. Late in September I unsuspectingly opened my mail box and there is was...a summons. At first I thought, "Oh man...who could possibly been suing me...I am far too busy to offend anyone enough to be in a lawsuit." Upon opening the letter, however, I was stunned to realize I had been called up for jury duty. At first I was very excited. As a social studies/government teacher, I have taught the students about the justice system and about how it all works, but I lacked any personal experience to share. So, initially I was ecstatic. Then, I looked at the date of jury duty. Here is a list of things that were happening on that day.
1. Three new lessons in my classes
2. Project introduction in Government class
3. The first day of school Spirit week
4. Fundraiser that I was hosting at 5 pm
5. The last day of a fundraiser we had been running for a month
6. A volleyball game to coach.
Of course, by the time I realized this, it was too late to back out of it. (Plus, the justice system does not give you too many ways out of it. Basically I would have to be in active labor, handicapped since age 5, and over the age of 70 all at the same time). So, I knew I was stuck.
The day of my appearance dawned bright and clear, a crisp delicious fall day. I packed a bag with my Bible (just in case) my favorite novel and a light sweater. I had asked lots of people in my circle of friends and family about their experience with jury duty. They all said the same thing..."Don't worry. They never call Christians...you will be out of there in no time flat." WRONG.
After I filled out my profile (Are you a criminal? Do you know any criminals? Do you have any distinguishing moles? Have you ever been in the same room with a cop? How do you take your coffee? Do you vote? Are you claustrophobic? and so on), the bailiff rolled out a TV that was at least 15 years old ( I know this because it had so much white noise in the background you could hardly hear what the video was about). The first video was actually ok. It was all about what was about to happen and what your job was. Next, they showed us a video of a REALLY bad actor dressed up in a cop outfit with a fake New York accent...I believe he even said "Forget about it" at one time. Anyways, once all that was over they shuffled all 300 of us out into the hallway and began to select the first panel of jurors. About 24 numbers had been called and I began to breathe a sigh of relief. Then, they called my number last of all. I gathered my belongings and headed to my first stop...the courtroom Jury selection. We all got settled in and the judge began to ask us questions. His voice and mannerisms were just like the guy on that commercial for clear eyes eye drops. First he asked if any of us had a reason why we should not be here or could not handle this trial. Boy, the excuses flowed like a river. "I have to pick up my kids from school. No one else in the whole family has a car." "I have to work, my boss will throw a fit if I am gone." "See my brain, it is actually on loan to me from the research facility." "I have a test tomorrow and my teacher will not let me out of it." " I am the only person in my entire company who knows how to unlock the front door to work...so many many people will be locked out of work. Do you want that on you, Your Honor?" Then, the judge allowed us out to have some lunch and then told us who he had picked. He chose me!!!! Along with me he chose a 65 year old man from New York, a 60 year old woman who must have started smoking when she was 8 because she had "the rasp." He chose two older grandmothers, one who reminded me of a painting because her skin was like porcelain and the other reminded me of a character I once read of in a novel...she was so eccentric. He also chose a lady who had to be the leader of a biker gang (she scared me to death) and then a middle aged man, who turned out to be one of the few who actually saw the case as I did. So, there I was...easily young enough to be any one of those person's grandchild or child. It was a strange sensation. Then, the judge dropped the bomb....we would be here for three days. I almost fainted. I guess I was going to get very close to those fellow jurors.
However, I did learn some valuable insights that I want to share with you now...
1. When you lock 6 strangers in a tiny room with just water and one bathroom and tell them they cannot come out till they reach a decision...somehow, they will make that decision happen, even though they all see the same facts through six different perspectives.
2. Our justice system, while flawed, is still a great way to objectively look at evidence and solve disagreements.
3. The time that is the most inconvenient for you...that is when you WILL get chosen for duty.
4. The cafeteria coffee in a courthouse is a lot like mud...
5. Even judges fall asleep in boring trials (I know because ours did)
6. Lawyers are ridiculously long-winded and wordy
7. Lawyers are tricky and slick as snot on a doorknob when it comes to manipulating you
8. If the judge asks you if there is a reason why you cannot serve in the jury and you hesitate because you think "My reason is silly and selfish" speak up because there is no way your reasons can be as ridiculous as the ones I heard that day.
9. When the lawyers are questioning their most important witness is the time you will inhale wrong and suck your gum into your windpipe causing you to cough so loudly the bailiff will come over to you with cough drops (ahem...yes, I did that)
10. I am thankful that God is the just judge....He needs no jury to help Him uncover the truth or make a verdict...He is all-wise. Praise to HIM.
Anyways...that's what happened to me. All I can say is, I was honored for the chance for hands-on learning for the sake of my classroom...but I was never so happy to see my classroom and my students and my regular life. Those are the thoughts of this juror.

No comments:

Post a Comment