Background

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

My Candy Corn Tissue

Sunday school for the past two years for me and Ryan has been 4 year old class. I loved them. I loved the things they said, I loved that they still could not tie their shoes. I loved that they could not color inside the lines and they always color people's faces blue or purple because they can. I loved their childlike faith regarding the things of the Word. I sometimes forget the difference between 4's and the "big ones" I teach Monday through Friday and somehow I am shocked when one of them tells me that they do not really believe that Jonah slept in the fish belly or that Moses did not get his sandals wet when he crossed the Red Sea on dry ground. But, this summer our time in four year old Sunday School came to an end. It was sad but it was also exciting for me because that meant that one day a week I would get to be with grown-ups for a whole hour at a time. So, my pastor convinced me to join the young married class. I did not want to at first because I would have to go alone (since Ryan currently teaches a 3rd-5th grade boys class). But, I decided to believe him when he said it would be good for me. He was so right. I have loved every second of it. It is so uplifting. Right now we are studying God (his moral attributes to be exact) Last week, our teacher was out of town so two of the men in the group led songs and we sang a song or two, then we would share a testimony or prayer request and then sing some more. As we began to share around the circle, it dawned on me...all of us are in the middle of some "faith" test. The things we are learning about God being holy, good, loving (not to mention his natural attributed like all-present, all knowing) are being proved out in our lives. When we get that phone call that someone is sick, do we still believe God is sovereign? When we lose that pregnancy...is God still good? For some it was at work, for some it was because of health issues, for some it was the struggle of raising a family. As each one shared, I realized how we were all in the same boat (even if the boats look a little different for each person). As the testimonies went on, so did the tears. We laughed a little because last week we all had a moment of tears as one of our members shared a painful prayer request and I made a mental note to have klenex with me. But, when the tears started this week...all I had was the pack of candy corn tissues (I referenced them in an earlier blog post). We had to make do with what we had but it sure looked funny to see people dabbing away tears with candy corn tissues.
So why am I posting this on this VERY early Wednesday morning? We are all busy, we all have weeks, days, hours--where we feel overwhelmed and alone. It is so refreshing to know that I can count on that small group that meets on Sunday mornings to hold me up in prayer. Some of those people in that group, young as we are, are some of the most committed prayer warriors in my circle of aquaintances. Dear readers (all 19 of you), if you are a believer and you do not have a church supporting you...how are you doing it? How are you surviving the battle? I am telling you, some Sundays I am coming into church hobbling on one leg from the intensity of the battle at my place of work...and I work in a "Christian" environment. I beg you...wake up...notice the spiritual warfare in which you are engaged (whether you want to be or not...we are in it). Find yourself a group of fellow soldiers who will come along side you...someone who will stand with you, share your burdens and if needed give you a candy corn tissue to cry into.

No comments:

Post a Comment