Background

Saturday, October 29, 2011

Saturday Night Randoms

I have had such a nice day. This is the first Saturday this whole month of October where I had NOTHING that I was obligated to go. I had no carwashes for school, dances to chaperone, no luncheons, no meetings...NOTHING. So, I slept in (9 am...what a luxury), cleaned at my own pace and cooked up a storm. I made time consuming dishes that I usually never make because, let's face it, I have no time.

So, today's post is not super serious...I have a serious one in the works up in the old brain...but more on that another day. Today's post is a list of random things that happened this month that I had no time to write about but wanted to.

1. I overcame my fear of eating things students offer to me. Granted, if the student just sneezed and then sniffed the contents of the sneeze back up his nasal passages, I probably still will not eat it. Since I became a teacher I had a fear of eating things prepared or handled by students. My cooperating teacher instilled that in me. She always said, "You never know what might be in those cookies." So, I just carried that peppy little anecdote with me. I always envisioned the student baking up a batch of cookies with worms in it and giggling with sinister glee. "Won't Mrs. W enjoy these...serve her right for assigning me that horrible project." *insert scary laugh here* Well, the other day one of my kids said, "Hey, please try these chips...they are made of veggies." As usual, I tried to politely decline, but she was very persistent. So, I did it. I conquered my fear of student food and ate it. For you it may seem like a small thing, but for me it was a major milestone.

2. I found a sticker (because I still like to put stickers on my kids tests when they do a great job...even though they are in high school. Hey, they notice the stickers and love them) that looked like one of my students. It was a fall sticker of a little smiling squirrel. I showed it to my kid and he agreed. It was a funny moment and we have laughed about it ever since.

3. Everyone was in class for the quiz I gave the other day. May seem like a small thing, but to not have to chase down a kid for a week to try to get them to make up a quiz is a wonderful feeling.

4. My kids no longer protest saying, "But this is history class, why do we have to memorize the Bible" when I assign a verse for a chapter quiz. Makes me smile

5. Ryan and I had a real date night. It has been such a long time since we have had one of those. It reminded me again of why we were meant to be together.

6. I hate laundry

7. Fall has arrived in Florida. The other day I got up to a brisk 60 degree morning. So, I got out a warm dress, a pair of black stockings, and a sweater. By noon I was so hot I felt like I was near the surface of the sun. Oh the joys of Florida.

8. The oranges are turning orange on the trees in the back yard. I cannot wait to get my juicer and make fresh orange juice in the mornings.

9. I have not yet purchased a single Christmas present...I am officially freaking out about that. Not only have I not gotten a single gift, I have not even gotten a single thought of "Oh, so and so would like that as a gift." I think I am in trouble...especially since every store in town has already rolled out all the Christmas stuff. AHHHH.

10. I love Saturdays...especially ones like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment