Background

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

My love



Today I was enjoying my highly overpriced cup of coffee during a break I had and I noticed my cup. The picture at the beginning of the post was my cup. I loved the quote and the quote got me to thinking about me and my love. This December, Ryan and I will have been "together" in one way or another (we started dating December '05) for 7 years. That is a long time. But, ya know...it feels like only yesterday some days (I am sure he would agree that there are days where it feels so much longer). Just like coffee, love has a lot of flavors and temperatures. Just like coffee, love takes a little getting used to...but you develop a taste for it. Just like coffee, love sometimes is so hot it shocks you and sometimes it is cold and two-days old. Just like coffee, love is addictive. I am addicted to both. As I sat there and pondered love (and coffee)...it brought back some great memories of love and life and of the love of my life...Ryan. Do we have ups and downs? You betcha we do! But, we always come back to the same conclusion...we are addicted. Story #1. I remember our VERY FIRST date. We had just left the Christmas banquet at our college. In those days, at our college, you could not go off campus, one boy and one girl, you had to have a third person with you. Well, this was an impromptu date because both Ryan and I had started the evening with other dates, whom we both ended up leaving behind when we suddenly found each other more interesting. Somehow we convinced our friend Melinda to go with us to Starbucks...and thus...our first date (and part of the reason we could not have had our wedding with out Melinda in it). It was over a cup of coffee, that lasted well over an hour, that I discovered this man had passion for ministry. Did this guy have a past and a history and problems just like me?...YES. BUT, he had given those things to God and was waiting for God to move him to the next big thing... just like me. It was a match!!! Just like cream and sugar. Memory #2. We were married. It had been a very long day, numberless cups of coffee had doubtless been had by that point in the day. Ryan was heading to our room to go to sleep and I had my wax warmer burning in our room. Next thing I know...Ryan tosses the blanket on the bed but misses and hits the wax warmer. Wax all over the walls, all over the floor, all over the bed, all over Ryan. At this time, we were renting...so I panicked and started to get the RED wax off the white carpet. I still giggle as I remember Ryan's face. He was so hurt that I was more worried about the wall than his legs. "Oh sure," he cried in outrage. "Worry about the wall as your husband's legs melt off." By the time it was all over we were laughing so hard. Not sure if we laughed the next day when I had to CHIP the red wax off the carpet. (I realize that had nothing to do with coffee...but I do not care...it was funny).

I love when I have had a bad day, Ryan comes home and surprises me with a snazzy coffee drink. I love that he kisses me, coffee breath and all. I love that he notices when coffee is buy one get one free. I love how anytime he goes away for business or we go on vacation...he has his eyes peeled for interesting coffee mugs. I love that he plots our trips back home to visit my folks based on coffee breaks (and the subsequent potty breaks). I love that even though coffee is an expensive habit, he sacrifices so I can have enjoyment. I love that for our anniversary, he was ok with me getting a gift (a Keurig brewer that I have wanted for FOREVER) that he will never, ever use. I love, love, love that guy...and to think it all started over a cup of coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment