Background

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Reformation never runs very deep....

One of my all time favorite shows was the Canadian series called "Road to Avonlea." It was based back during the turn of the century and the characters were just lovely and sweet. The plots were funny and touching and there are several episodes that my family and I can quote together we have seen them so many times.

As I thought over all the "New Years Resolutions" I have made, and consequently already broken, I remembered something a character on that show used to say. She always said that "Reformation in men and dogs never runs very deep." I would chuckle, but apparently it is not just men and dogs, it is anyone with a fallen human nature. I must say I had lofty goals for this new year and none of them are coming to pass. I was going to say "no" to more things that would be stressful. Since that "lofty" goal I have agreed to coach a softball team, join a woman's function at church, begin a ladies Bible study with some girls at church (which I am actually REALLY happy about...I cannot wait), and even a coupon club (which is another one I CANNOT wait to start...oh the money that will be saved.) On the flip side, however, I did promise myself that I would worry a little less. That has been my pet sin since I was born. I am pretty sure I worried while in the womb about the delivery and if the doctor had the right level of education and if my parents painted my room pink and if they got the right flavors of baby food. Since that time, I worry. I decided that this year, with God's help, I wanted it to be different. Now, I will not say I have achieved it yet. Working at it for sure. However, the house does not give me worry. I looked at it yesterday while Ryan and I were relaxing and said, "Yep, the house has the "Amy is back in school" look again." AND, I was ok with that. Granted I have been cleaning since I got home today, BUT none the less I did not worry over it all day.

I heard a song the other day and have since bought it for my I-pod. It talks about how we are restless until we find our rest in God. This song has become so very real to me. I know that feeling. The feeling of always having to be busy, of something not getting done, of there being no time to rest. BUT, in God, when I give HIM all that worry and fret...He is so willing and so ready to give me REST. So, all three of my readers, hopefully if you find yourself restless today, you can also find your rest in HIM.

1 comment:

  1. I love your blog : ) Thanks for the humble reminder of who my Rest should be found in... sometimes I have myself tied in knots over things....
    Love you!
    Krista (on Jesse's Account)

    ReplyDelete