Background

Monday, August 15, 2011

First Day of School

Today was the first day of school. This year it felt...different. I felt like a first year teacher all over again. I cannot tell you why I felt this way. I have no logical reason for my feelings on this. But, whatever the reason, I felt like I was sweating bullets all day, my stomach was in knots, and I stuttered and stammered my way through my entire day.

I opened my Bible at my desk this morning to grab a quick dose of inspiration and I found myself in a familiar passage this time. I found myself in Corinthians and Paul was explaining how we believers are in a race and a good runner does not focus on who is behind him, who is before him, what kind of power bar he has in his pocket for later or what flavor the Gatorade is at the finish line. The only thing that runner is thinking about is the prize...winning this race...finishing the course. That was (of course) just what i needed. I have a lot asked of me this year...probably more responsibility than any other year I have taught. I can already feel the pressure squeezing me like a chicken in a pressure cooker. I feel pulled in a million directions and weary. BUT, I know that my Savior is the one who put me on this course. He called me to this race. All I have to do is run with endurance that comes from God. He will help me finish this course no matter how hard the race may be. I need not focus on what others are doing...I need to do my job and be the light and salt I am supposed to be.

So, while this evening I have a bad case of the "first day" blues....I know God has a reason for the challenges of this school year and I know they are for my good.

No comments:

Post a Comment