Background

Friday, October 22, 2010

The Good Stuff

Sometimes in life we forget the good stuff. We get so wrapped in the "oh I have so much to do" and "there are not enough hours in the day" and "I will never get it all done" that we forget to stop and smell the roses, so to speak. Well, this week, I was overwhelmed with Jr. class fundraisers (as I am the Jr. class sponsor this year), volleyball games (as I am coach of a volleyball team), lesson plans (cause, ya know, the whole job part of my life), and then of course, there is the small detail of being a wife...ha ha. However, a couple times this week, in the midst of all that "business" I found a couple of moments that were so sweet and precious, I have "snacked" on those moments during the crazy-ness. Here is my short list.

1. A little kid commented about one of our teachers at school: "Mr. So and So must really love being a Father and He must really love God because he is willing to teach US." I had to smile over that. Out of the mouth of babes, right?

2. Making new friends. We got a couple of new teachers this year at our school and lately I have really gotten to know one of them and I must say that I am thrilled that she has come and already love having her around.

3. Working with Teens. Yes, this often is the cause of most of my stress, but in between that, there are moments where they are so delightful you wish you could be with them a lot more often. Today we were doing a fundraiser at school, but I was having so much fun and so many laughs with my kids that I forgot I was working. It was great.

4. Funny comments that make you belly laugh like a kid. This week at our volleyball game two of my girls went to the bathroom and they thought there was no one else in there. The girls told the story like this.
Girl 1: We went into the bathroom and said, "It smells like someone pooped a flower in here" and then we heard a "plop"
Girl 2: it was really embarrassing.
I just laughed like a kid and had to hold onto my ribs. Kids say the funniest things

5. Knowing your work matters and even though you do not see it, you do make a difference. I had a former student stop me yesterday and tell me that she had been out sick from classes at college for a few days. When she went back, it was a test day. She panicked at first, but when she saw the test she told me she remembered those concepts from when I taught them to her the year before. It just made me feel (after a week of feeling like I did not teach the kids ANYTHING) that I was doing my job right. That's a very good feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment