Background

Friday, October 1, 2010

Slip ups

Every so often, for no medical reason that I can identify, my mouth works one way even when my brain is telling it to do another. It used to manifest itself as a tendency to switch my letters around in words (which thankfully has never happened since I have been a teacher). When I was a teen we ate a "not of loodles" and I frequently "snovled the Shnow." Thank goodness none of those slip ups have happened in front of my students. However, lately I have been mispronouncing things or just saying the totally wrong word. For instance, the other day I was teaching a lesson about the Battle of Tippecanoe in which there was no clear WINNER. However, when I got to the word winner, it came out "Wiener." The students and I both giggled and then we moved on. But, a few days later I was talking about Napoleon Bonaparte and his rein of terror over Europe. Well, I was talking away and said, "Now when Napoleon Dynamite was attacking Europe..." and then I just had no choice but to laugh. Why my brain insists that I do that is beyond me but it sure makes for a good laugh.

1 comment: