Background

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Stop this Spinning Strawberry...I want off...

I remember the first time I ever went on an amusement park ride. I was with my mom and we were at the South Dakota State Fair (excellent fair by the way, lots of exhibits, free stuff to get, lots of yummy fair food, good animals and 4-H stuff). My mom saw the Tilt-a-Whirl and said, "Hey, Amy lets go on this ride...it will be fun." So, trusting child that I was I jumped on the spinning strawberry of death with my mom. She was so excited for the ride to begin, as was I (initially). Then, suddenly my mom started twisting the center wheel to make the strawberry spin. About half way through the ride, my mom was laughing and having fun and I was turning green and looking for a way to jump off. I remember vividly screaming at the Carney every time we spun past him..."HEY...GET ME OFF HERE." "HEY...MAKE IT STOP." Now, I love the spinning strawberries...mostly because of the memory of riding it with my mom.

I am in a month of my life right now in which I feel like I am riding a strawberry of death. I am in the middle of administering final exams, I am still finding homes for all the prom props, summer kids club is one day away from starting at church, graduation at school is on Friday, I am starting a summer job next week, and I have the normal friendship obligations coming my way. As my days spin by I look around me for a good stopping point...for some one to stop the ride so I can get off and catch my breath. On the other hand, do I really want to ride the kiddie coasters forever? If I never take on new responsibilities and accept new challenges, I would grow bored at some point. So, I am strapping myself in and yelling out..."Speed up that strawberry."

1 comment:

  1. I have a similar experience with riding the scrambler twice and then the tilt a whirl twice with my older sister and her best friend. One time around the friend was saying "Mister, stop the ride, she's going to puke." Next time "Mister, she's turning green." Next time "Mister, she puked." Yeah - I realized going on four spinning rides in a row is a really bad idea. Enjoy the Strawberry Ride :)

    ReplyDelete