Background

Monday, May 23, 2011

Purple and Peacock Feathers



7 months of planning and the prom is over. I was overwhelmed most of the time, I laughed some of the time, I probably added a few pounds of stress weight...but it is over. Thank goodness that it is over. Our Midsummer Night's Dream theme went off without a hitch. Our "candy bar" was a huge hit with the kids and the peacock feather accents made the girls very happy because (although I did not know this when we started) they are very in vogue this year.

However, when the night was over and all the kids had gone home and I was there to pick up the left over dinner mints and blow out the candles, some melancholy swept over me. This up-coming fall will be my fourth year at the same school. I have been with these kids for a long time. For my Juniors who helped me plan prom, I have been their homeroom teacher since they entered high school as little 9th graders. For the Seniors, I am brimming with pride at how well they all turned out. I am so excited to send them out into the world. I will miss them so very much . You do not realize how involved you become in their lives and how special each and every one of them are to you. Even though I am not a mother, I think I have an inkling of how they feel when their first child leaves home. This is the first class that we are graduating that I feel bonded to. It is so bittersweet. I love them and want them to spread their wings and fly...but I cannot imagine school without their personalities and smiles.

I was happy to have this evening with them to celebrate their achievements and honor all their hard work over the course of the last four years.

No comments:

Post a Comment