Background

Monday, May 16, 2011

The first

In the world of teaching teenagers, there are many moments where you are incapable of words and all you can come up with is a belly laugh. One of those moments happened just the other day. I have had a particularly busy week here at work. I am in the final countdown...only a few more weeks till school is over. It is exciting and sad and thrilling at the same time. I must say goodbye to students that I have been teaching since I started my career. I look forward to their success but brush aside a tear upon their exit.

Well, that has been the past few weeks (hence the lack of posts of late). I was in my 2nd period class. It is an interesting mix of students. I have two juniors in there, a handfull of sophomores, and three or four freshmen. Well, I had just finished my closing remarks for the day and there were about 5-10 minutes left in class. Suddenly, the youngest boy in the class shoots his hand in the air and leaps from his chair at the same time. He asks, "Can I go to the restroom?" We have a procedure at school that they must use to go to the restroom, plus we limit them to three "emergency" bathroom uses per quarter...otherwise they are ALWAYS IN THERE. So, I asked him, "There are only five minutes left in class. Are you sure you want to waste your last bathroom pass?" He said, "Yes, I gotta go...I think I just got my first chin hair and I GOTTA go see it." What could I say? I told him to go. Once he left I could not hold it in. We all had a good laugh and wished him well as he went to see the fledgling hair on his chin.

If nothing else, this job is never dull.

1 comment:

  1. I love this. It is beyond just what I needed today and this week. It is SUCH a blessing to know that there are other believers out there struggling, and our God is great enough to deal with each and every one of our trials.

    ReplyDelete