Background

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Signs of Summer



(Yes that is real sand on the floor. Are we crazy? It is possible....)

I remember as a kid taking summer vacations. One summer when I was about 12 we took a nice leisurely trip to the Pacific coast in California and Oregon. Another time in the late fall we went up to the North to see the fall leaves, eat maple sugar candy in Vermont, and freeze our rear ends off in Maine. One time we even took a trip up to Canada and went to the world's biggest mall. Many fond memories of many wonderful trips. But, among the family we often joke about the "luck" we have as a family when we go trips or try to do any special events. On the trip to the Pacific, my parents had a red-letter moment(I know they won't care if I tell this story because they can laugh about it now)--which is code for a massive fight. They tried to install a luggage rack on the top of the van (which was quite an ordeal for them) and then proceeded to smash it flat on the way into a parking garage. On the trip to Canada my grandpa accidentally locked the keys in the van...while it was running. So, there we were sitting in the parking lot on the OUTSIDE of the van while it kept on running.

All that to say, through all those things, my parents may have had their moments...their little fights, their loud fights, their stressful moments that were so impossible that they both just ended up laughing. I never really understood that bond. I never "got" how you could be so frustrated that all you could do was laugh...and somehow get over all the anger.

Well, this week Ryan and I had a HUGE task. We were commissioned to build the Summer Kids Club set at our church. This year was a beach bash theme. My parents helped us over Memorial Day but there was still so much to do. About 4 hours before the event was supposed to begin, we were still hanging the backdrop. My first problem is that I failed cutting straight lines in kindergarten. The other is that the room's floor actually slants at an awkward angle...thus making cutting a straight line even harder. To top that off, we are not allowed to use any nails, tacks, or real tape to hold up the murals. So, we were using sticky tack, frog tape, and poster putty. Needless to stay....nothing was staying up. At one point...I was so frustrated with those stupid murals and Ryan was getting annoyed as well. When the mural fell for the last time, I just started to laugh. Ryan started to laugh...but somehow we got the whole mess finished.

I am just so thankful for a husband like Ryan. I am so glad that even though we had some issues getting the decorations up...the decorating is done and what's more, we did it together. I do have a standing joke with Ryan that we will be sending our marriage counseling bill to our church. Oh the signs of summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment