Background

Saturday, June 25, 2011

The God Who Sees me...

I have been doing a study with my friend here in town for the summer. We are working our way through Beth Moore's study on the Patriarchs. This past week was about how Sarah rushed to do God's work her way. God had promised Sarah and Abraham a child but Sarah had doubts and pushed Abraham to have a baby with poor Hagar. What struck me for the first time is that I had always given Hagar a bad rap. I had always blamed her as though it was all her fault. From what I see, she had the very least to say about the whole arrangement. What I loved most about this whole account is that Hagar ends up meeting God through the whole mess. She runs away when she is basically cast out of Abraham's home. She ends up in the middle of nowhere and there the Angel of the LORD (some debate whether she met an angel of it was God)...but when I see that capitalized LORD there, I know who it is. Anyway, she is the only Old Testament character who actually gives God a name. She basically calls God "The One who sees me." I love that. I love that no matter what the situation or circumstance, we can count on the fact that God sees me. He sees the pain, he sees the joy, he sees the problems. I love that about my God. I am so thankful for a God that sees ME.

No comments:

Post a Comment