Background

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Happy Parents Day

This post is long overdue...but while I was in church on Sunday during the Father's Day tribute video, I was thinking about how incredibly blessed I have been by God. I have a great family that lives not too far away. I have a great church family back home and a thriving fellowship of believers here where I live that are such a blessing. I have a wonderful husband who is always so giving and kind. I have a small handful of friends that I know I can turn to in time of need.

However, as I sat there and listened to the video about Fathers, I realized I owe my own parents a debt of gratitude. I am thankful for my father. He taught me how to ride my bike without the training wheels. He came to my sporting events, even if it meant he only saw me play for about two minutes. He went shopping with all of us "girls" and even pretended to be interested in the latest fashions. When it was time to learn to drive...Dad was there to teach me (even though I drove through one open field and stopped for bicycle stop signs). When the time came for wedding shopping, my dad was there to help me hunt (for several months I might add) for the perfect green tie for the groomsmen. Most of all, I saw in my Dad a love of the Savior and an iron-clan commitment to God and to serving in church. My Dad showed me what a real man should be like, how a real man should treat his wife and kids, and his fellow man. He is my dad...but he is my friend and I cannot imagine doing this life without him.

I am thankful for my mom. She taught me to love music and singing. I remember watching her in church play the piano and wishing I could be like her. She taught me to cook and I will always be thankful for her instilling in me the joy of cooking for my family. She tried to teach me to sew (but I was far too stubborn and impatient to stick with that). My mom brought me into the world of books. She used to read to us every day. With my mom I rode in the back of the covered wagon with Laura Ingalls and her family. With my mom I danced through England with the Bennett sisters in Pride and Prejudice. With my mom I learned the tricks of being a good wife and loving partner to my husband. I learned to care for a home and be a gracious hostess. From my mom I learned determination and trust. I learned about devotion to the Lord and trust in His promises from her. She is my Mom...but she is my friend and I cannot imagine doing this life without her.

Thank you PARENTS...You are a blessing to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment