Background

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Thank you Parents

Yesterday I attended my first public school graduation. There are so many things to talk about with this graduation. But really, this whole post will be a letter to my parents thanking them for being the best parents I could have asked for because they actually did work and raised me...unlike some of the people I encountered at the graduation.

Thank you Mom. Thank you for teaching me that when I go out in public, to an event that is supposed to be dignified and family friendly, I should wear an appropriate outfit. Thank you for teaching me that slips are important parts of our wardrobe. Thank you for teaching me that when wearing a white dress, you should also wear white undergarments. Thank you Mom for teaching me that ladies do not "whoop" "holler" and "beller" our congrats across an auditorium to our friend who just graduated. Thank you Mom for teaching me that it is never ok to have a knock-down drag out fight in a parking lot full of cars because your string of balloons got tangled with another person who was walking past you. (YES...all that was happening...and so much more)

Thank you Dad for wearing your pants at your waist and wearing a belt. Thank you Dad for not wearing earrings and having better jewelry than I do. Thank you Dad for not walking behind me all the way out of the auditorium at graduation, through the doors, and out into the parking lot yelling "hey (something inaudible) Amy you finally did it" OVER and OVER again.

On a serious note...Mom and Dad..I want to thank you for so much. Mom, thank you for teaching me how to be a lady, how to show respect, and how to value myself by how I act in public. Dad, thank you for being there. I noticed in all the student speeches at that graduation, the students all wanted to thank their mom for love and support and hard work...but not one single dad was ever mentioned. I am a kid in a generation of kids who never had dads at their volleyball games, at their awards ceremonies, at church with them, or reading them bedtime stories. Those kids just got half the love...they just had moms. I am so thankful that I got both. I feel blessed beyond measure and feel a swell of pride and happiness when I can say..."Those are my parents" Thank you Mom and Dad....count not have gotten this far without you.

No comments:

Post a Comment