Background

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Episode 13



Today I added the December 20th angel to the nativity mural. It has so many memories connected to it. My sister always wanted to put this angel on because it was her birthday...so naturally she wanted to put it on the mural (naturally, she also wanted to put on the baby Jesus...but you cannot have your cake and eat it too). Then, one year the angel had an unfortunate moment and her head fell off. So, that poor angel was marked for life and mom had to reattach her head many times. In fact, today when I put up this angel I was extra careful with her head...even though I knew I didn't need to be.

But, that is not my reason to rejoice today. Today it is my sister. 22 years ago today my little sister was born. She is my only sister...my only sibling and I am happy to say, my oldest friend. Now, from about ages 8-15 my mom probably would have said differently about us being friends. We had many a fight...usually about nothing. Once we had a fight over who would clean the toilet (least favorite bathroom chore) and I may have "accidentally" sprayed Ray in the eye (Ray can now finally be avenged for that one because I am pretty sure my mom never knew about that one because I think I bribed Ray not to tell...probably by giving her gel pens or stickers which were my currency in that day and age). Another time we were fighting over who would vacuum (second least favorite chore) and I pushed her over to get my point across and she hit her tailbone on the vacuum (this one mom knew because I vaguely remember my tailbone hurting later over that one). One time Ray flicked a penny directly in my eye...cannot remember what that fight was over, but I am still amazed by her aim. However, over time, I can say that I have never had more happy memories, more belly laughs or more inside jokes than with her.

I do not remember much about her birth. I remember most of the things from home movies and pictures and cute anecdotes from my family members. Before Ray was born, I wanted her to be twins (doubtless my mom and dad was happy that Ray was NOT a twin...that's a lot of babies at one time). Anyways, I wanted twins so mom could name them Isaac and Rebekah. The day Ray was born, all I remember is mom and dad bought me the game "Shoots and Ladders" and I stayed at someone's house till they came home. I was pretty stoked because I really liked that game.

Time went on. Ray grew up...she peed on my lap (she was an infant!!!)...she crawled after my toys...there was no place to escape. She got bigger and wanted to be just like me. She stole my clothes, played with the same toy I always wanted to play with. She copied what I said, she followed me everywhere I went and did all the things I did. She became a teen and suddenly my clothes were not as cool as hers, so I never had to worry about her stealing my stuff. Then the day came where I moved away and we saw each other less and less. Then came the day where I watched my baby sister walk down a grassy path on a spring day and get married. I think I cried more that day than I did at my own wedding. The pictures of that day show me walking down to the front of the ceremony with a grimace on my face because I was doing all I could not to ruin my make-up. Suddenly miles and miles separated us. I miss her so much and am so thankful for the built-in friend that God gave me so many years ago. I would give anything to have her be close enough to steal my sweaters or borrow my stuff (although heaven knows my style is probably still too old lady for my trendy little sis). I am rejoicing tonight for this reason...my baby sister. Thanks God for that extra special gift in our family's life.

No comments:

Post a Comment