Background

Friday, December 2, 2011

Reasons to Rejoice December 2



Oh the Christmas Play! Today I stumbled upon the dvds of my old Christmas plays, Christmas presents with family and Christmas dinner celebrations. Some of it is embarrassing, most of it is heartwarming and touching, a few of them make me cry but the Christmas plays make me laugh. Every year, our poor music teacher would start about the second week of school drumming 27 millions Christmas skits, songs, poems and passages to present in December. About November was when everyone started singing the songs even in their sleep. Parents begin to get the "Christmas Program" video tapes ready (since each program was easily 3 hours long, they needed lots of tape). At long last, the elementary students were decked out in their little halos and the boys picked up shepherd's crooks and donned their old ratty bathrobes. There was always someone who forgot their lines at the most awkward time. Someone always forgot that they were the line leader and when it was time to leave the stage, they were picking their nose or twirling their pretty Christmas dress or waving at mom. Nevertheless, every kid left the program feeling special because they had been on stage. Every parent felt their kid was the brightest and the best. Even more than that, each person left there hearing the true message of Christmas. I don't miss performing in them...but I am happy I have the DVD to remind me from time to time. It is another reason to rejoice.

No comments:

Post a Comment