Background

Friday, December 9, 2011

Episode 9



Just a little update on the Rejoice countdown. We are out of the "trees" which are still fun, but not as fun as the sheep, angels or people. It is a sure sign that Christmas is closer when the "trees" are on the board.

Today's post is all about conversations around the tree. My Grandpa Arnold was a notorious "filmer." He recorded everything from the kids in their Easter Sunday best to the family eating Christmas dinner to the "pile" of presents my Dad got each year (even though my dad tried to tell us for years that he was so poor growing up that Grandma would wait till he was asleep Christmas Eve so she could wrap up his hands, because in the words of my Father, those were "nature's Christmas gifts." and the only gifts they could afford) Anyhow, he must have transferred that urge to film all things. The other day I was watching some Christmas footage while I cleaned house (we no longer have cable...so sometimes finding something to watch is a stretch). Here are some of the conversations I heard around the tree, the names have been changed to protect the innocent, but I am sure most of the family will be able to figure out who is who.

Mystery Aunt: "I was so COLD in here earlier."
Uncle Spike: "You are COLD? IN this HOUSE? Geo-therm's been down here already today testing for nuclear material."

Parent of mine after getting the gift of money: "Oh look, I got paper...with green ink on it."

Sister-type: "Oh wow, just what I wanted. Thank you!" *promptly throws item over shoulder to dive into the remaining pile of gifts.

Mystery Grandparent: "Keep the box for that Barbie, Rachel, for someday when you are old and you want the box. Could be worth money."

Mystery Grandparent: "Hey, you mayn't open any presents until you pick up ALL the wrapping paper on the floor."
Aunt Starla: "Yah, and then wash and wax my car while you are at it!"

Ah, the family Christmas tree captured for all time on film. It does not get much better than this. So, today's reason to rejoice is my Grandpa and Dad taking the time to preserve those memories (the good, the bad and the ugly ones too) for future generations. Thanks!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment