Background

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Back to School Buzz

I went to Target today. I was meandering my way up and down the isles hoping that I would see some kind of gadget or gizmo that would make my teaching this year just amazing. I like to take my time and look around, especially when I am on my own and have no time schedule. However, I had to stifle a smile every now and again as I passed certain people. The first family had a dad, a mom, a two year old, and a k-5 aged kid. The mom was looking at the price tags, the dad was getting flustered and the kid was by this time so over the back to school shopping that he was not even paying attention. Next you had the mom whose kid is in high school and is therefore way too cool to come school shopping with his mom. So, because of this the mom was on the cell phone the entire time asking the kid a million questions which probably would not have had to be asked had the kid deigned to show up at the store. "Are you in Spanish this year?" "What color are you supposed to have?" Then, to herself, "I do not even know what that thing on the list is." I scooted into another isle and smiled to myself. I found myself thankful, once again, that I am not the parent of a high school student. I love my high school students that I teach, but I am even more thankful that at the end of the day, my students go home to another person's house.

No comments:

Post a Comment