Background

Friday, August 6, 2010

Seminars

At school this week we are learning a new teaching method. I love it but I will tell you that it is kind of addicting. It is called the Socratic Method (which is really an old teaching method when you think about it). First you teach the kids about the topic then provide an avenue for them to discuss the topic by asking very open-ended questions to get them to start talking. Well, to practice how to do a Socratic Seminar with the students we teachers participated in one. We had to read a short story called "The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson. I have never read a story that I hated any more than this story. If you have never read it then I will not give away the ending for you. I will tell you this...people who write without God in their lives can come up with some very random things.

But, back to the seminar. I am so excited to try to use this method. We did a seminar for a whole hour and honestly I felt as though almost no time had gone by. It was amazing. People felt safe enough to share their ideas and opinions. I think if a group of teachers can pick it up in one day then students should be able to figure it out very quickly too. I am very excited to give it a spin.

No comments:

Post a Comment