Background

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Legacy

Today I was painting (shocking, I know). This year I will begin my third year of teaching at my school. It is hard to believe, but it is true. Well, for the past two years I have not painted my room. The teacher before me was much beloved and I feared that the students would HATE me if I removed the last vestiges of her teaching there. However, today as I was removing the sea shells and starfish she had super glued to the wall, (it was a HUGE beach mural complete with sand rubbed into the wall and sea shells on the beach. Totally not my taste and totally counterproductive to learning.) I had a thought. What will my legacy be when I am gone? What will my students remember of me? Will they only remember the "bookish" lessons that I have taught them or will they remember something more lasting? Will they remember the time I taught them a life lesson or shared a kind word with them? It is something to consider. It sobered me a little, I have to confess. I felted rebuked at the moments I have let slip by without sharing the Gospel or the Love of God with my students. May next year be a year where I leave a lasting legacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment