Background

Friday, July 9, 2010

What would they say?

Every so often, probably due to my intense love of all things historical, I find myself wondering, "What would our Founding Father's think if they saw this or that?" Sometimes it is about harmless things like i-pods. Imagine putting an i-pod in the hands of a man like Mozart or Hayden and explaining that the device he holds can put music right into his ears, and not just a little music, whole libraries of music. Honestly, if we could bring one of those cold, tired, hungry pilgrims to our time and show them the glories of frozen pizza or canned veggies...even a toaster, I would love to see their response. Or to take an early wagon train pioneer and show them a car, a subway, a bullet-train, or an airplane and tell them how quickly travel has become. Bring back Florence Nightingale and show her a modern hospital facility, vaccines, and technologies for finding and treating illness.

But, yesterday was not one of those warm-fuzzy kind of moments. Yesterday I thought, "What would our forefathers say if they saw our teenagers running around with their underwear hanging out of their pants?" I wish I could say this was a fading fad, but I have to address this problem even with my students at school. Why or why do our teenagers feel that I WANT to see their underwear. I can assure them with my whole heart that I will just assume they are wearing underwear...I do NOT need proof of that fact. I just wish this fad would fade away like the trading of beanie babies and pogs. However, I have been dealing with this issue since I entered the classroom four years ago in my senior year of college and from what I have seen it is not going away any time soon. Yesterday was just the last straw and I just shook my head and hoped that the poor kid never had to run for his life because about two steps into the pursuit and he is toast...his pants will be around his ankles and he will be down for the count.

No comments:

Post a Comment